Personal development goals is important to entrepreneurs as professional goals, as those that grow personally also grow professionally. However, some entrepreneurs are so focused on growing their businesses and they forget how crucial personal development goal are in their success.
In order to achieve success, goals must be focused in order to develop an action plan to achieve them. One method is to use the SMART System.
SMART System is for self-development plan that empowers you to know your goals in order to put processes in place to achieve them. In the SMART System, goals include the following criteria:
- Specific – Goals cannot be ambiguous. “I want to earn money” is not specific enough, but “I want to earn 10 percent more this year” is specific enough to be pragmatic. You should be specific in your plans and stick top it.
- Measurable – Measuring your progress as you work toward your goals is important. Reviewing your work monthly is an effective way if you are doing things according to your plans and if you are doing productive.
- Achievable – A true goal must be one that you could possibly achieve by following specific steps. Do something that is achievable. If your goal is to earn 1 million in less than 6 months is probably impossible, but setting a goal to earn 1 million in 10 years may be if you create the proper action plan.
- Realistic – Setting a realistic goal does not mean setting your sites lower. You can set long-term goals that seem impossible, but that does not make them unrealistic. Achieving a realistic goals with proper action plan are attainable.
- Timely – One of the crucial parts in achieving the goals is to set adequate time. You are not going to increase your income by 10 percent in a week, so setting a goal to do that is not realistic. If your goal is to increase income by 10 percent over the year, set a goal to achieve 2.5 percent increase each quarter.
Once you have used the SMART System to determine your personal and professional development, jot them down along with your action plan. Check your goals and plans regularly so you can make adjustments and monitor if you are productive. Setting clear goals allows you to measure your development and build confidence as you achieve them.